GB's Charlotte Dujardin and Valegro shine gold at the World Equestrian Games
Categories: None | Tags: None
Britain's Charlotte Dujardin and Valegro, nicknamed Blueberry, won the dressage Grand Prix Special at the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games in Normandy, heading off two in-form German riders.
Charlotte's golden score was 86.120% - a new world record in the Grand Prix Special - with Germany's Helen Langehanenberg scoring 84.468% for second.
The special test is an event in its own right but also a qualifier for the showpiece freestyle test, set to music.
The performance wasn't without it's mistakes, which Charlotte afterwards described as 'silly', but their otherwise clean and high quality test captivated the spectators and the judges. Valegro is a phenomenal horse and performed at least as well as he did the previous day, turning in a beautiful performance.
"It was a great ride. I had no team members to worry about, I thought I'd just go for everything," said Charlotte.
“We made three expensive mistakes and I thought ‘Oh it’s cost me the medal!’, so I knew after each one that I had to go for a bit more to try and catch up on what I had already lost,” she said afterwards. “But he’s such a fantastic horse, he’s got a heart of gold. If I need to go for a bit more he tries to go for a bit more, he never says ‘no I can’t do it” said the rider who now holds the Grand Prix Special title at Olympic, European and World Championship level.
Charlotte and Valegro had already played a huge part in securing team GB dressage silver behind Germany at the World Equestrian Games, also guaranteeing Britain’s place at the Rio 2016 Olympics.
Result: Grand Prix Special:
- Charlotte Dujardin/Valegro (GBR) 86.120%
- Helen Langehanenberg/Damon Hill NRW (GER) 84.468%
- Kristina Sprehe/Desperados FRH (GER) 79.762%
- Adelinde Cornelissen/Jerich Parzival N.O.P (NED) 79.328%
- Tinne Vilhelmson Silfven/Don Auriello (SWE) 78.235%
- Victoria Max-Theurer/Augustin Old (AUT) 77.857%
- Anna Kasprzak/Donnperignon (DEN) 77.269%
- Laura Graves/Verdades (USA) 77.157%
- Diederik van Silfhout (NED) 75.929%
- Stefan Peters/Legolas 92 (USA) 75.742%
Back to top
August 29, 2014 | Share: